Friday, March 20, 2009

A Hop, Skip and a Jump

As my contribution to the feverish preparations for the London Olympics I've invented a new poetic form.

Three lines:

Line 1 (the hop) should be short and introduce an idea or subject.
Line 2 (the skip) should be longer, taking the idea on and extending or subverting it in the manner of a volta.
Line 3 (the jump) should be longer again – impressively long, in fact – while doing to the skip what the skip did to the hop.

It's all a bit hazy, because I've just cobbled it together while listening to my Lord Coe over some baked beans. It can be Olympic-themed, or not, as you like.

The first few hasty stabs:

I took some drugs
to improve my sporting performance.
Just dashing down to the garage for a Snickers and some fags. Do you want owt?

The spring sun
offers less heat than it promises.
Let us hope that the same is not true in 2012.

Attic window open,
I'm listening to the sparrows and the traffic
and the barking dogs distract me from writing about the sparrows and the dogs and the moaning traffic.


Let's see your attempts. And if anyone fancies inventing their own olympic forms, step to it.

4 Comments:

Blogger deemikay said...

Almost genius!

I shall have to investigate...

3:03 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Thanks, David. From the responses so far, I don't think it's a form that will achieve world domination...

10:17 AM  
Blogger deemikay said...

I haven't actually written one yet... hmmm... I shall work on it and advertise for you. :)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Ta - it doesn't seem to have captured people's imaginations!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home