Monday, March 02, 2009

Wordlife

Spent an enjoyable evening on Friday at Wordlife at the Lantern Theatre, a really nice little old theatre in Nether Edge in Sheffield - as the promoter (from social enterprise Opus) said, you can live in Sheffield for years and then suddenly hear about brilliant venues and buildings tucked away round the corner.

There were too many acts to mention (in the end, probably too many full stop - by the time singer-songwriter Louis Romegoux came on at the end, I was a bit too cultured-out to enjoy him as much as I'd have liked) - but highlights included sets from Matthew Clegg, Ben Wilkinson and Helen Mort, a typically Geraldine Monkish set from Geraldine Monk, and Matt Black's long poem about the old Tinsley cooling towers.

I'm hoping to write more about some or all of the above, but I don't know when I'll get round to it. Bought two pamphlets and liked them both.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Wilkinson said...

Great to see you at this, Tony - shame we only had chance to briefly chat. It was a great little venue, wasn't it? I reckon Opus/Word Life will be returning there before long. Also think Helen might be planning on holding the launch of her ghost poems pamphlet there, once it's published...

As for the pamphlet - feel free to give it the thumbs up/a slamming on yer blog if you do find the time.

cheers, B

7:17 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Yes, good to meet albeit briefly, Ben. It was a good theatre - in which I could half imagine us detaching from the present and spinning into a self-contained nineteenth-century music hall-cosmos. Which I suppose is a long way of saying it was atmospheric.

I'm trying to find time to do a round-up review of some pamphlets - I'll keep you posted if I make any progress.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home