Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Off the menu

Some disappointing news for me personally and for UK poetry generally – Salt have had to cancel all future publications owing to a financial crisis.

This is a real shame – Salt have been a major new force in poetry publishing, and its loss leaves the industry much the poorer. And for me, of course, it means that my book won't now be published by them. But it's hard to feel too down-hearted on that score – these things happen, and it's just a book, after all – I feel more sorry for Chris and Jen at Salt, who have given so much to their business (and livelihood) only to see it falter now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

That's awful, Tony. It is a disaster for UK poetry because Salt were consistently producing the most interesting books. I hope they manage to keep things going over the next while and are still publishing books in the years to come, even if on a smaller scale.

But I do feel really sorry for you too. I'm sure your book, when it eventually appears, will be terrific.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Nic Sebastian said...

That sucks big time. Hang in there, Tony.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Dave said...

This is terrible! My sympathies to everyone under contract with Salt. I know from my mother's experience years ago what it's like to have a respected publisher collapse just before one's book was due to come out.

My state in the US (Pennsylvania) has a bill in the assembly, likely to pass, that will zero out all funding for the arts. It's a tough time for artists.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Andrew Philip said...

I can only concur: it's terrible news for Chris & Jen, you and others in the same position and UK poetry in general. Very difficult times indeed. Here's hoping for a genuine upturn soon!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Rob, Nic, Dave, Andrew, thanks for your comments. I'm posting an update in a new post.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home